Historic stations

Fernán Nuñez Palace

Built by the architect Martín López Aguado in 1848 and linked to the
Ducal house of Fernán Núñez, this building, which is very close to the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía (Reina Sofía National Art Gallery), is one of the most important examples of the opulence in which the Madrid aristocracy lived during the period of Isabella II. Its exterior simplicity, more in line with the classical order of eighteenth century palaces -the symmetry of the spaces, pilasters, balconies- contrasts with the baroque style and lavishness of it ballroom, halls, small rooms, reading rooms and studies, rich in frescos, sculptures, stuccos, silks, inlaid work and glasswork. Social gatherings, literary events, grand parties, concerts and balls were held in the palace at the time, to which Queen Isabella II herself would frequently attend.

It was refurbished in the 1970s by a group of architects composed of Fernando Ruiz Jaime, Federico Echevarría and Horacio Domínguez with the aim of installing the Museo del Ferrocarril (Railway Museum) in part of its buildings. The museum was moved to Las Delicias station in 1983, the palace being assigned to administrative uses by Renfe in 1941, mainly being the headquarters of the Fundación de los Ferrocarriles Españoles (Spanish Railways Foundation) today.

Throughout all these years, the Directorate of Heritage and Urban Development has kept the original rooms of the palace in good condition, preserving all its former splendour. Restoration work has been carried out for a couple of years on the palace, especially on its two exterior facades, as well as restoration and conditioning of its inner courtyards and cloisters, which does not affect normal visiting times.

Facade of Fernán Núñez Palace (Madrid).